Gott weiß, ich will kein Engel sein.

This is a song lyric from German metal band Rammstein. I wonder whether this lyric could also be phrased using dass:

Gott weiß, dass ich kein Engel sein will.

If you take the literal meaning, yes, you can rephrase it with a subordinate clause (but don’t forget the comma):

Gott weiß, dass ich kein Engel sein will.

But if you take a more abstract meaning with a not-religious-anymore approach, I would hesitate. This construction feels more like a set phrase, an exclamation; other similar/related expressions would be

Weiß Gott …
Weiß der Himmel …

compare the use of the English

Heaven knows …

Or French

Dieu sait …

They have evolved from a religious statement to phrases that will simply emphasize the following statement or rhetorical question without much of a religious undertone in modern usage.

Your substitution, while it can be read the same way, is more likely to be taken in the literal sense.

• I know the song and I never thought of the link to "Weiß Gott". +1 – Iris Oct 16 '15 at 12:04
  • I actually doubt that "Weiß Gott" fits here - had they wanted to express that, they could just have said it, as it fits the metrum as well. – Thorsten Dittmar Oct 17 '15 at 20:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.