Another confusing word + preposition combination to me, please could someone clarify the usage of:

Das passt mir sehr gut

or

Das passt zu mir sehr gut?

Wir passen zueinander sehr gut

or

Wir passen miteinander sehr gut

• Does this link answer your question? dwds.de/?view=10&qu=passen – Deve Oct 17 '15 at 13:30
  • Note that ‘wir passen miteinander’ is not an idiomatic sentence. If anything, you probably to contrast ‘wir passen einander sehr gut’. – Jan Oct 17 '15 at 14:19
  • Nur Fußballer beim Doppelpass können sagen 'Wir passen miteinander sehr gut'. :) – user unknown Oct 18 '15 at 22:59

You need to separate the usages of passen (without complement), jemandem passen (which has multiple, only mildly related meanings) and zu jemandem/etwas passen.

Passen without complement means to fit in the sense of a key fitting into a keyhole.

Dieser Schlüssel passt.

»Weltmacht mit drei Buchstaben?« »Ich« »Oh ja, das passt.« (when solving a crossword puzzle.)

It can also be used in the sense of being okay, although that has overlap with jemandem passen:

Morgen um zwölf? Das passt (mir).

(There are more meanings, but they are irrelevant in most contexts.)

Jemandem passen is usually only applied to clothing or accessories and (again) means to fit in the sense of being neither too big nor too small.

Dieser Pullover passt mir nicht. Ich brauche eine Größe kleiner.

Of course, to add to the confusion, the dative object can be dropped if it is clear:

Die Schuhe passen besser.

However, see above on the also possible meaning of being okay.

Finally, zu jemandem/etwas passen means to match/to suit something else.

Die Farbe dieser Kette passt nicht zu meinem Lidschatten!

Der Schirm passt zu mir! Ich mag alles mit Hunden.

Wir zwei passen gut zueinander. Wir denken ähnlich und lachen über die gleichen Witze.

Note that this answer only covers the meanings 1–3 as given by the Duden.

• +1 for the German usage, but I think that “to fit to” does not exist in that sense. – Carsten S Oct 17 '15 at 17:12
  • @CarstenS Improved translation? – Jan Oct 17 '15 at 17:35
  • Ich mag alles mit Hunden? :-/ i did't understand, let me search a little bit :-)) – user1474062 Oct 17 '15 at 20:42
  • This "ich mag alles mit Hunden" is an idiom, or realy do you have a lot of dogs? Could you please broader? – user1474062 Oct 17 '15 at 20:50
  • @user1474062 ‘Ich mag alles mit Hunden’ → I like everything with dogs in context to be understood as I like everything that has dogs on it so the umbrella would be one decorated with dogs. – Jan Oct 18 '15 at 15:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.