So how would I normally say in German "I run this program" or "I launch this program" (on a computer). Dict.cc gives me "ausführen" and "laufen lassen" for "to run a program". Both sound quite difficult to pronounce. Is there an easier (colloqial) variant? Intuitively I would probably say "Ich ranne" or "Ich lasse los" or "Ich lasse auf"? Does it make sense?

What is your criterion for a difficult pronunciation? Most Germans find the English th sounds (\þ\ and \ð) difficult to pronounce; Icelanders probably don’t. – Wrzlprmft Oct 18 '15 at 19:39
  • @Wrzlprmft particulary I have problem with "laufen", how exactly I dont know, it is about rythm and tongue movements. – Mikhail V Oct 18 '15 at 19:43

You may not be a fan of »laufen«, but it would suit the purpose when it comes to computer programs:

Ich lass’ das Programm laufen. (I let the program run.)

While “run” also describes an actually running program (at runtime you might say), the question is more about starting a program. With “launch” being a cognate for “start”, you probably would say:

Ich starte das Programm. (I start the program.)

Neither of „Ich ranne“ (I ran?), „Ich lasse los“ (I let go) and „Ich lasse auf“ (I let on?) makes sense regarding starting computer programs. Perhaps you can make friends with »Programm starten«, because if there are no errors, starting a program also means running it afterwards.

| improve this answer | |
    +1, although I really agree that OP should let go of his dislike for laufen – Jan Oct 18 '15 at 20:36
  • I didn't say I dislike the word. It just comes hard to say the whole sentence, but the reason is, yes this particular word. So you mean there is no jargon or some americanism for it? – Mikhail V Oct 19 '15 at 12:08
    @MikhailV: I’m a programmer and I don’t know of any. Colloquially, you say something along the lines of „Start’ einfach mal“ (just start it) or „Lass’ mal laufen“ (let it run) or „Führ’s mal aus“ (execute it). The latter would also be a choide: Ich führe das Programm aus. By the way, »mal« is another perfect German filler word :-) – dakab Oct 19 '15 at 12:39
  • Thanks. And how is about "anlassen"? Lass es an? Sounds good but I am not sure if I ever heard such phrase. – Mikhail V Oct 19 '15 at 13:59
  • Actually, with an artistic license, it would be semantically valid, but I think nobody would say that when it’s about computer programs. „Anlassen“ is related to engines, ignitions, etc.: „Ich lasse den Motor an“ (I start the engine). Anyway, it was a nice idea, since „anlassen“ has quite some various distinct meanings. – dakab Oct 19 '15 at 14:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.