I thought making an Anki deck for antonyms would be a pretty good idea. But I haven’t really learned the genitive case yet. I wanted to set the cards up like so:

What's the antonym of {{Word 1}}?

{{Word 2}}

And a reversed version of course.

I typed in a few example cases into google translate to see what it would translate into German as. The sentence “What is the antonym of ...” used a few different constructions depending on what word I put at the end:

• zu + word
  • von + word
  • definite article in genitive + word

So my questions are:

• What would I say in a case where the word hasn’t been decided yet?

• How would I determine which construction to use?

• You wouldn’t use genitive at all with Gegenteil, whether you know the gender of the word or not. – chirlu Oct 19 '15 at 18:01
  • I edited your question according to my understanding (we would not call a prepositional construction genetive). Please check whether everything is still according to your intentions. – Wrzlprmft Oct 19 '15 at 18:22
    Was ist das Gegenteil von <Wort> does the trick. – Jan Oct 19 '15 at 19:51
    Oder "Was ist das Antonym zu Wort" – Em1 Oct 20 '15 at 7:08
  • Thank you, I guess I wrongly assumed that the word of always signified the genitive case. But in this sentence, how would I know when to use zu, or when to use von? – Obrazi Oct 20 '15 at 12:26

Das Gegenteil von "gut" ist "gut gemeint".

Von is the one and only preposition for Gegenteil. Zu would fit to Gegensatz or Widerspruch. Maybe some people confuse that.

In addition, we have Gegenteil+genitive, especially when comparing someone or something with an abstract ideal: "Du bist das Gegenteil eines Musterschülers", "Die letzte Woche war das Gegenteil eines Erholungsurlaubs". Often, this is emphasized with "das genaue Gegenteil". Using von here would spoil the lofty style.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.