I have translated both hatte and hätte and it says would have. Do these words have some differences? I have searched other questions and saw that the words really exist, initially my thought was that it was a typo.

So is it (The only instance where I come across this word is at a restaurant)

Ich hätte gerne or ich hatte gerne?

I have also seen words like konnen/könnten (suppose both these words also mean the same, correct me if I am wrong).

So how does these words differ from each other?

Please give examples to explain the difference.

closed as off-topic by Jan, Em1, boaten, user unknown, chirlu Oct 20 '15 at 17:03

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "This site is about the usage and rules of the German language. It is not well-suited to replace dictionaries, grammar books or similar. If you have already consulted such general references and still have questions, please edit your question to explain what you found and why it did not help. See this post on Meta for more information." – Jan, Em1, boaten, user unknown, chirlu
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

• Please explain why a grammar book did not help you. – Jan Oct 20 '15 at 9:53
  • I translated the words to get the same meaning. – Vini Oct 20 '15 at 9:55
    Let me emphasise grammar book. – Jan Oct 20 '15 at 9:55
  • I remember learning in my grammar classes where I had only hätte. It was explained as Would have. I was searching through something to to see another word hatte. then i remembered about könnte and konnte. – Vini Oct 20 '15 at 9:57
    I have no idea why this question was downvoted. It is totally valid and it is also a very common question in beginning German classes. Lastly, I do not see this as an off-topic question on this German language stackexchange sub-group. – shailenTJ Jul 14 '16 at 12:28

These are different conjugations. Usually, verbs endind -te are written in their preterite form (past form). Umlauts ¨(ä, ö, ü) are usually used for the conditional of the verb, and change the pronunciation of the vowel.

Present:

I have = ich habe
I can = ich kann

Preterite:

I had = ich hatte
I could = ich konnte

Conditional:

I would have = Ich hätte
I (possibly) could = Ich könnte

In restaurants, it is usual to use the conditional to speak in a more polite way.

Gern means that you like or would like to do/have sth.

Ich schwimme gern = I like to swim (present)
Ich hatte gern = I liked to have (preterite, because of hatte and not habe)
Ich hätte gern = I would like to have (conditional)

• As an Addition: gerne/gern means also: with pleasure! – Medi1Saif Oct 20 '15 at 9:13
  • Hi and welcome to German Langauge Stack Exchange. Feel free to take a tour of the site. For questions on how it works, visit the help center. Nice answer! – Jan Oct 20 '15 at 9:37

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.