I wonder the positions of people, they walk unter dem Regen or in dem Regen or mit dem Regen? Following expressions are possible?

Der romantischste Moment für mich ist das Zufußgehen in dem Regen.

Das Spiel ist unter dem Regen gespielt worden.

Es ist schwer, unter dem Regen zu arbeiten.

Zufußgehen seems a bit odd. I would replace it by Spazierengehen (stroll), if not something like a barefooted walk was intended.
    – guidot
    Oct 21, 2015 at 10:36
    Assume that you have to reach a point on the world,you are in hurry, would you use after all "spazierengehen"? Oct 24, 2015 at 8:06

2 Answers 2

In Germany you say bei Regen or im Regen (in dem is shortened to im) (Duden). I tried to find a explanation to distinguish the two options, but so far I haven’t found one. I would say: im Regen emphasized the interaction with rain (becoming wet, hear the sound of the raindrops etc). Bei Regen is more neutral, expressing that something happends during rainfall.

Ich gehe gerne im Regen joggen.

means that I love to run (e.g. because I like the feeling of the raindrops on my skin or the sound of the drops on my umbrella).

Ich gehe auch bei Regen joggen.

I go running also when it rains (but it is not special for me).

Concerning your examples, I would say:

Der romantischste Moment für mich ist das Spazierengehen im Regen.

(zu Fuß gehen just means to go, that is hardly romantic)

Das Spiel ist im Regen gespielt worden. or Es hat während des Spiels geregnet.

Es ist schwer im Regen zu arbeiten. (When you work outside and everything is wet and slippy) or

Es ist schwer bei Regen zu arbeiten. (When you work in an office, but you are distracted because you would love to be outside)

For these activities in your list of example it should be im Regen. Note also the spelling.

Bei Regen is another common option...
    – Stephie
    Oct 20, 2015 at 13:13
  • This should have been an edit to the OP, not an answer.
    – Jan
    Oct 20, 2015 at 13:43
    Why "bei Regen" instead "beim Regen"? Oct 20, 2015 at 22:18
    @user unknown, do you have an example? Because I would say "unter Regen" is always wrong.
    – Iris
    Dec 8, 2015 at 12:07
  • @Iris: Da ich keins finde lösche ich meinen Kommentar unauffällig in 3...2..1.. >-< Dec 8, 2015 at 15:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.