I’m creating a question pool for students, but I’m not sure my questions will be understood by everyone. The following sentence would introduce a Question-Answer matching practice. Is it explicit enough or does the question need to be a little bit modified?

Auf welche der folgenden Fragen kann die obige Aussage als eine Antwort gegeben werden?

Students will read a short text (actually, it is an answer of a question), then they will have to pick the best, rational, appropriate answer.

For example:

An Deutschland grenzen neun Staaten und naturräumlich im Norden die Gewässer der Nord- und Ostsee sowie im Süden das Bergland der Alpen. Es liegt in der gemäßigten Klimazone. (Source: Wikipedia)

Auf welche der folgenden Fragen kann die obige Aussage als eine Antwort gegeben werden?

A) Wo liegt Deutschland?
B) Was kann man in Deutschland essen?
[...]
E) Wie viele Einwohner hat Deutschland?

Can you please tell us what exactly you are unsure about? As it stands, the question is at least very close to a proofreading question. – Wrzlprmft Oct 23 '15 at 13:13
    I wouldn’t ask for that answer with any of the three questions you suggest. – Jan Oct 23 '15 at 13:30
    The phrase you used is fine. A simpler way of putting it would be Welche Frage passt zur obigen Antwort? Yet i have the impression this question is more or less a translation request? – Burki Oct 23 '15 at 13:36
    And the correct question is: Von was allem wird Deutschland umrandet? Und in welcher Klimazone liegt es? – Em1 Oct 23 '15 at 13:41
    @Bergmann: Dir ist schon klar, dass das hier ein DEUTSCH-Forum ist. Und wenn du, wie in deinem Profil nachzulesen ist, DEUTSCH-Lehrer bist, und in DEUTSCH-Land (nämlich in Düsseldorf) lebst, dann gehe ich davon aus, dass du DEUTSCH auf dem C2-Niveau, also auf dem Niveau eines Muttersprachler spricht. Wenn das alles zutrifft: Warum benutzt du in einem DEUTSCH-Forum eine Fremdsprache (nämlich englisch) um eine Frage über einen Aspekt der DEUTSCHEN Sprache zu stellen? – Hubert Schölnast Oct 27 '15 at 22:12

The phrasing is fine in principle though slightly awkward. The following suggestions would appear more natural (well, at least to me) and they also take into account that the student's task will be to find a best match instead of identifying the natural answer.

Given the setting ( a multiple-choice problem sheet as part of coursework ), the terse first variant should suffice.

Wie lautet die passende Frage ?

Zu welcher der folgenden Fragen paßt die obige Antwort am besten ?

Welche der folgenden Fragen könnte (am ehesten) gestellt worden sein ?

Welche der folgenden Fragen wurde vermutlich gestellt ?

Welche der folgenden Fragen wurde gestellt ?

| improve this answer | |
  • you gave really nice tips – Dragut Nov 10 '15 at 15:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.