First let me make a clarification: I live in the ground floor of a house. The owner of the house lives in the upper floor in the same house. We have a common entrance and there is nothing more that I share with them. So I suppose I am living in an Einliegerwohnung. If there is another word for the place that I stay please correct me.

Does anyone know what is Einliegerwohnung in English. It translates as Inlay apartment. But when I search for inlay apartment it doesn’t give me any good results.

To make it more clear:

What do I call the kind of apartment where I live? (The context about where I live is mentioned above)

  • Maybe Parterrewohnung is the word you're looking for. – Œlrim Oct 27 '15 at 11:08
  • Or do you mean Einliegerwohnung which translates to granny flat? – Œlrim Oct 27 '15 at 11:09
  • de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einliegerwohnung Whether your place is an Einliegerwohnung or not is unrelated to the floor level. – chirlu Oct 27 '15 at 11:19
  • 2
    I’m voting to close this question as off-topic because it appears to be looking for an English term. (It is also somewhat unclear.) – chirlu Oct 27 '15 at 11:30
  • 1
    But translations to English are not off topic. Because the tag itself mentions the request can be made for translating to and from German. – Vini Oct 27 '15 at 11:32

An Einliegerwohnung is a second housing unit in a house that is smaller than the main flat. It is independently accessible, e.g. by a separate entrance or a shared stairwell, but will always be a distinct unit separate from the rest of the house.

It may be partly underground or in the basement, it may as well be under the roof. The name signifies the “importance” in the house, e.g. often the owners of a house would use the main area and rent out the Einliegerwohnung for additional income. It may also be an area used by grown-up children or elderly relatives.

Sometimes the term Apartment (note the spelling!) is used as loanword from English, as it has a similar meaning: small unit. But it is not restricted architecturally as Einliegerwohnung is, you can build a house with many smallish units which all qualify as Apartment.

If a house has many flats, it may have one or multiples per floor, depending on the size of the building. If you rent one of them, you are renting eine (Miet-)Wohnung. The name doesn’t indicate a size or layout, simply the terms of possession.

Should the house have one flat per floor, these may also be called Etagenwohnung. This term indicates the architectural property, but no information on the terms - you can both rent or own one.

Note that there is also the (rarely used) term Appartement (again: spelling!), which is a French loanword indicating a larger, superior unit or a suite of rooms in a hotel.

| improve this answer | |
  • So i should suppose I live in a Einliegerwohnung or a Etagenwohnung – Vini Oct 27 '15 at 11:56
  • 1
    If you rent a small unit in a larger house: Einliegerwohnung. If you have one of "a stack of flats" and want to point that out: Etagenwohnung. But in everyday conversation, Wohnung would be sufficient in probably 90% of all cases. – Stephie Oct 27 '15 at 11:59
  • OK. thank you for the clarification. There is no stack of flats in the Wohnung I live. Only 2 floors. – Vini Oct 27 '15 at 12:00
  • Interesting that you use Mietswohnung where I would say Mietwohnung. – Jan Oct 27 '15 at 12:21
  • Good answer. What about self-contained flat/apartment what I believe may be the closest equivalent to Einliegerwohnung. – Takkat Oct 27 '15 at 12:27

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.