I want to say, “Somebody offered to take our things”, as a polite gesture. (so not stealing our things, or just taking them for no reason.) There are just so many different ways to say take — I’m not sure which is appropriate!

• Welcome to the German Language SE. Can you provide more context please? Is the taking temporary or permanent? – hiergiltdiestfu Oct 31 '15 at 6:45

Jemand bot an, unsere Sachen an sich zu nehmen.

Wenn sich derjenige mit diesen Sachen entfernt, eher:

Jemand bot an, unsere Sachen mitzunehmen.

How about

Jemand bot an, uns unsere Sachen abzunehmen.

If you want to express that the person personally takes your things (i.e. doesn’t just put them somewhere else or gives them away), you can add the reflexive pronoun sich:

Jemand bot sich an, uns unsere Sachen abzunehmen.

• Hi and welcome to German Language Stack Exchange. Feel free to take a tour and visit the help center for questions about the site. Since we don’t deal with codes, using monospace formatting (‘backticks’) is discouraged. Rather, add a > at the beginning of a line for blockquote formatting. (Can be nested.) – Jan Nov 13 '15 at 18:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.