For example, consider the sentence, “Ich springe hinein.” Is hinein considered to be the separable prefix of the verb hineinspringen or an adverb modifying the verb springen?

Yes, they can be considered both, and it is merely by convention that one is used more often. – Jan Nov 1 '15 at 19:49

Yes, absolutely: hinein is an adverb, which may be used as a prefix in a compound. An adjective can also be used as a prefix, but nouns and verbs can't (at least with verbs).

The only distinction you (and me) have to learn is, that some verb-adverb pairs are so closely aligned, that both are written as one word for the infinitive form:

• schönschreiben, but schön schreiben
  • wegfliegen, but weg reisen

Since the recent reforms, I always have to look that up in the Duden.

| improve this answer | |
    There is usually a difference in stress. – chirlu Nov 9 '15 at 19:18
  • Maybe, but I'm afraid you confuse this with the rule for separable (?) verbs (whether a compound verb can be split). My focus here is, whether it is a compound at all. – Ralph Nov 9 '15 at 20:54
    And I’m saying that a compound vs. a sequence of words often differ in stress. – chirlu Nov 9 '15 at 21:09
  • What @chirlu means is that schönschreiben is pronounced /'ʃø:n​ˌ​ʃraibən/ or related while schön schreiben is pronounced /​ˌ​ʃø:n'ʃraibən/ with an optional glottal stop between schön and schreiben. – Jan Nov 10 '15 at 10:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.