I’m trying to understand the lyrics of Es ist wie es ist by Böhse Onkelz, where at some point it says:

Ich will wissen wie der Tod schmeckt,
und schenk mir noch mal ein.

My understanding is:

I want to know how death tastes, and serve me one more time.

I’m thinking at this serve as put me in the game or get in the game, like living life as fully as possible, or something like that. Is this even close to the real meaning of that second line?

Likely not an imperative (as the question suggests) but parallel to will. – chirlu Nov 5 '15 at 8:21
  • @chirlu Yes, I've been somewhat unclear, that "serve" was related to "will", I didn't want to repeat "I want to know", but now I'm wondering if it's even correct to omit it (I'm not a native English speaker :)). – swahnee Nov 5 '15 at 8:34

Ich (will wissen, wie der Tod schmeckt, und) schenk mir noch mal ein

can be translated as

I want to know what death tastes like, and (I) pour myself another cup/glass

I think it is important to explain that "death" is equal to "alcohol" here, because the song is about alcoholism. See answer of @Jens Krüger – Iris Nov 5 '15 at 13:42
  • You may be right there, but at least the title of the OP suggests that this is not what he was asking. – Burki Nov 5 '15 at 13:57

In the context of the song the meaning is literal. He wants to drink another drink.

Ich will wissen, wie der Tod schmeckt,
und schenk mir noch mal ein.

And he is serving himself. The translation is:

I want to know what death tastes like
and pour (a drink) for me once again.

In my understanding the song is about alcoholism:

Und ich weiß
Schnaps und der Teufel sind eins

Even though he knows the drink is the devil he still wants more.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.