My German colleague is leaving the company, and I want to write him a good email in English. However, at the end of the email, I want to use a good German proverb for “good bye and keep in touch”.

Can you please suggest some good proverbs in German for “good bye and keep in touch”?

why someone downvoted this question ? – SyParth Nov 12 '15 at 14:19
  • Indeed. Why downvote instead of vote to close? – Jan Nov 12 '15 at 14:28
    If you do not like a question put a comment or the reason. Such a unreasonable sterile steps just because of your lack of ability to answer a question produces nothing. – SyParth Nov 12 '15 at 15:07
    Anonyme Downvotes sind legitim und in Übereinstimmung mit den Absichten der Plattformbetreiber - kein Grund in Spekulationen auszubrechen. Bei einem Mouseover kann man lesen, was die Gründe für ein Downvote sein sollen. "Does not show research" wäre eine naheliegende Erklärung. – user unknown Nov 12 '15 at 16:37
    -1 Sorry. Just like five other users, I did downvote because you got an answer and you were picky in something you should have specified in your question, and not in the comments below that answer. – c.p. Nov 14 '15 at 2:03

Mach's gut und lass mal von Dir hören.

would be a rather informal way of putting it.

More formal would be

Auf Wiedersehen, ich hoffe, wir bleiben in Kontakt.

• Hi Thorsten Dittmar , many thanks for answer but it would be helpful to have some proverb in German for saying something like , "a good thing ended in a good way" or "A good ending is a good start of our future relationship" – SyParth Nov 12 '15 at 14:20
  • Sorry, I can't think of any proverb that means what you want. – Thorsten Dittmar Nov 12 '15 at 14:41
  • Many thanks Thorsten for help. +1. – SyParth Nov 12 '15 at 15:08
    "Jedes Ende ist ein neuer Anfang!" but it's ambigious if the ending was good or bad. It can also be an advise after the breakup of an relationship. I would write the sentences from @Thorsten DIttmars answer – Iris Nov 12 '15 at 15:32
    @Iris that doesn't cover the "keep in touch part" really. – Thorsten Dittmar Nov 12 '15 at 16:32

Aus den Augen, aus dem Sinn

is a common proverbial expression for the opposite of what you want, and most Germans know it. So you could write something like

Aus den Augen soll nicht heißen aus dem Sinn.

I've heard this said a few times at farewell. It fits your requirements, but it's a bit of a platitude.

I assumed you can read German. If not, I'll edit in a translation. – user568 Nov 13 '15 at 20:59
  • +1. yes thanks. – SyParth Nov 14 '15 at 4:27

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.