The following words all mean business in English, but what is the difference between Geschäft, Unternehmen, Betrieb and Firma?

Sorry I am new to the site and not quite sure how to use this. How come my question is different than: german.stackexchange.com/questions/25988/… or german.stackexchange.com/questions/26011/… Commented Nov 16, 2015 at 9:03
    Geschäft is a store, Unternehmen is a business, Betrieb too but may be part of a bigger Unternehmen. Firma is originally latin and describes only the name of a business, but is used by the majority when they actually mean Unternehmen.
    – Rudi
    Commented Nov 16, 2015 at 10:35
  • Actually, Geschäft can also be used for business, as in ... gehört zu unserem täglichen Geschäft (... is part of our daily business). Store could also be called Laden. Commented Nov 17, 2015 at 13:51
    Why was this closed? Most dictionaries just use "business" as the definition and don't explain the subtle differences. I'm not sure this question deserves such a cursory answer.
    – hohner
    Commented Jan 20, 2016 at 16:27
    I am confused as well, but it is alright. I found out Reddit r/german sub group is more friendly. I am asking question there now instead. Thank you for your help. Commented Jan 25, 2016 at 3:02

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.