When we use a name with its article then it is definite, I cannot make the following sentence more general. I’m trying refer to all children in the world. And why do we use the pronoun es in such sentences? Is my second sample also correct?

Die Frau in meinem Büro kann es nicht ertragen Kinder.

Die Frau in meinem Büro kann Kinder nicht ertragen.

And in the following example why is -es droped, shouldn’t it be: meines Kind because Kind is neuter?

Ich kann mein Kind nicht mehr ertragen.

• The first sentence is ungrammatical. Only the second and third are correct. Regarding meines Kind, that form doesn’t exist; look it up in a declension table. – chirlu Nov 18 '15 at 12:51
  • The third example is basically a separate question dealing with declension; almost covered by this question and certainly by others. – Jan Nov 18 '15 at 13:06

The rule is rather simple: To make definite references, use the definite article. For indefinite references, use the indefinite article in the singular or no article in plural.

Let’s strip your examples of everything unnecessary:

Sie erträgt Kinder nicht.

This one has no article, so it generally means she cannot stand children.

Sie erträgt die Kinder nicht.

She only cannot stand these (previously established or clear by context) children.

Moving to singular:

Sie erträgt ein Kind nicht.

Simply Kind would be wrong, and the sentence altogether is weird, because why would you only not stand one child?

Sie erträgt das Kind nicht.

She cannot stand the child (clear by context or previously established).

Of course, further context can be given with adjectives if desired:

Sie erträgt schreiende Kinder nicht.
Sie erträgt ein schreiendes Kind nicht.

Sie erträgt die schreienden Kinder nicht.
Sie erträgt das schreiende Kind nicht.

(Here the indefinite singular does not sound as bad as above.)

• Jan, could we say sie ertraegt neues Kind nicht? – Dragut Nov 18 '15 at 13:32
  • @Bergmann try reading my answer again. (Hint: no, it’s lacking something.) – Jan Nov 18 '15 at 14:12
  • Deine Freundin, die kann blasen, die kann blasen, blasen, blasen, die kann blasen blasen blasen an den Füssen nicht ertragen :) – WayneEra Nov 25 '15 at 8:05
  • @WayneEra Knapp an der Offensive-Flagge vorbeigeschrammt ô.o – Jan Nov 25 '15 at 9:42
  • @jan ist von einem lied von SDP, ist mir wegen dem "nicht ertragen" wieder in den sinn gekommen...soviel spass muss doch sein ^^ – WayneEra Nov 25 '15 at 10:28

The first sentence doesn't make sense at all. One might understand it as

Hey kids, the woman at my office can't stand it.

But in German, there'd be a comma missing before "Kinder"...

The second sentence is fully correct. It means:

The woman at my office can not stand children.

The "es" in "kann es ertragen" is only required if there's no closer description of the required accusative object. For example:

Ich kann das Wetter nicht ertragen. (No es here, as das Wetter is the accusative object)

as opposed to.

Wie findest Du das Wetter? Ich kann es nicht ertragen. (es stands for das Wetter here and is the accusative object)

The last sentence is really a matter of understanding the accusative case:

Nominativ: mein Kind
Genitiv:   meines Kindes
Dativ:     meinem Kind
Akkusativ: mein Kind

Ich kann [wen oder was, Akkusativ] nicht ertragen.
Ich kann mein Kind nicht ertragen.

• But we could say i think. "ich kann neues Kind nicht ertragen" so here es places – Dragut Nov 18 '15 at 13:17
  • @Bergmann "Ich kann das neue Kind nicht ertragen", if you'd like to say that you cannot stand the new kid. Or if it is a random kid, then "ein neues Kind"; or if many kids, then "die neuen Kinder"; or if generally all new kids, then "neue Kinder". These are the four options that I can think of off the top of my head. – Em1 Nov 18 '15 at 13:55
  • @Bergmann No, you can not put it this way. In addition to what Em1 said in his comment, if you want to say you can not stand newborns in general, you'd have to say Ich kann neugeborene Kinder nicht ertragen (again, watch the acc. pl.). In singular you always need the indefinite article, while in plural you must omit it. Example: Ich kann ein neugeborenes Kind nicht ertragen vs. Ich kann neugeborene Kinder nicht ertragen, but Ich kann das Nachbarskind nicht ertragen. vs. Ich kann die Nachbarskinder nicht ertragen. – Thorsten Dittmar Nov 18 '15 at 13:57
  • @ThorstenDittmar, with "neues Kind" i meant "the new child" suppose "the new child in our classroom" – Dragut Nov 18 '15 at 14:09
  • @Bergmann Then you need the definite article anyway. – Thorsten Dittmar Nov 18 '15 at 14:15

Your examples 2 and 3 are correct, 1 is wrong. A legal example similar to example 1 would be:

Die Frau kann es nicht ertragen, Kinder um sich zu haben.

Meines would only be valid in genitive singular, like:

Der Mantel meines Kindes ist verschwunden.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.