My Prof said his sister in law answers the phone with yabada/ yabadah. I'm not a German speaker but I figure that 'Ya' makes sense as yes but the following doesn't make sense to me. Could someone please clarify if this is indeed a thing German speakers do (In a certain region) or is it just a weird unique case thing.

It’s not a German word if that’s what you are asking, and it’s not a common way to answer the phone. Most people either say their name or a greeting, or a combination (“Schmidt, guten Tag”). – chirlu Nov 20 '15 at 20:52
    Flintstones yabadabadoo. – Ralph M. Rickenbach Nov 20 '15 at 22:03
    My best guess: Ja, bin da! ‘Yes, I’m here!’ – Crissov Nov 20 '15 at 22:10
    @chirlu Not to forget those who jokedly answer ‘Kriminalpolizei Weilheim!’, or ‘Krematorium Kempten?’ ;) – Jan Nov 21 '15 at 20:11
  • No relation to german language. – user unknown Nov 23 '15 at 14:36

Some people answer their phone with “Ja, bitte?”, which directly tranlates to “Yes, please?” I think this is what your prof meant.

| improve this answer | |
    Welcome to German Language Stack Exchange. Feel free to take a tour of the site. Visit the help center to learn more about how it works. – Jan Nov 23 '15 at 14:29

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.