Translating “the easiest way to carry bricks …” to Der einfachste Weg, Ziegel zu tragen, doesn’t seem right. Der einfachste Weg seems like only for “The easiest route”. Should “the easiest way to carry bricks” be Die einfachste Methode … or Die einfachste Art? Or can Weg be used in this more figurative, general way?

• Oh yeah, hi and welcome to German Language Stack Exchange. Feel free to take a tour of the site. Visit the help center for any questions on how it works =) – Jan Nov 27 '15 at 14:56

Well, it works … just. I have no clue whether I am confunded by English in that respect but I would understand der einfachste Weg with an infinitive to mean what you want it to mean.

If I thought about it for even a millisecond, I would not use it though. Die einfachste Art would be my preferred choice in speaking and … Methode in writing.

Other possibilities exist, too, such as die einfachste Weise and more.

• It's tricky because in English we use "way" to mean Art, Weise, Methode, Weg usw. – 147pm Nov 27 '15 at 14:53
  • @147pm I wouldn’t even call it tricky (except for machines which cannot extract context as well as humans can). – Jan Nov 27 '15 at 14:55
  • @147pm and that's why they all work. – Stephie Nov 27 '15 at 14:55
    Die einfachste Art und Weise is also an alternative, AFAIK. Art und Weise is used as if it were a single word. – Walter Tross Nov 27 '15 at 16:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.