Both words in the title get translated as poetry.

How do they differ?1

Which of the two would be more appropriate to translate a title like Anthology of 20th century German poetry?

1 My first guess was that Lyrik and Poesie mapped respectively to lyric poetry and poetry, but I’m not sure anymore.

• Was ist mit Dichtung? – Walter Nov 30 '15 at 10:24

Poesy is a quite old word for (literarische) Gattungen. It consists of Lyrik, Epik and Dramatik. That’s at least what the Poesy by Aristotle defines it.

But generally you can also just translate it as Dichtung like Duden did:

• Dichtung als Kunstgattung; Dichtkunst
  • Dichtung als sprachliches Kunstwerk

The word Poesie is also used to highlight something special.
As it is said on Wikipedia:

Der Begriff bezeichnet im übertragenen Sinn ferner eine bestimmte Qualität. So spricht man etwa von der „Poesie eines Moments“ oder einem „poetischen Film“ und meint damit in der Regel, dass von dem Bezeichneten eine sich der Sprache entziehende, oder über sie hinausgehende Wirkung ausgeht, etwas Stilles, ähnlich wie von einem Gedicht, das eine sich der Alltagssprache entziehende Wirkung entfaltet.

In Duden this is described as

• poetischer Stimmungsgehalt, Zauber
  • Pretty sure there's at least one definition of Dichtung missing ;) – hiergiltdiestfu Nov 30 '15 at 20:09

Poesie is split into three parts: Lyrik, Epik and Dramatik. Poesie is just a general word.

I would say, "Poesie" is just another word for "Dichtung".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.