I want to ask in German:

How is the note of the course calculated? Do you consider the obtained points of the homeworks or only the number of the handed over homeworks?

I think it could be:

Wie wird die Note des Kurs berechnet? Verwenden Sie die kriegte Punkte der Hausaufgaben oder nur die Anzahl der abgegebenen Hausaufgaben?

Is this right? I'm not very sure about the "verwenden". Can anyone help me? Thank you!

This is a case for ELL, but I’m pretty sure using note to mean (Schul-) Note is a false friend. To the best of my knowledge, a note is either a Notiz, a Banknote or a musical Note. – Jan Dec 3 '15 at 17:17
    @Jan, right, it should be “grade” or “mark”. – Carsten S Dec 3 '15 at 18:00

Wie wird die Note des Kurs berechnet? Verwenden Sie die kriegte Punkte der Hausaufgaben oder nur die Anzahl der abgegebenen Hausaufgaben?

The verb verwenden is ok in this context.

If you want, you could also use the construct etwas (zu etwas) heranziehen (your sentence would then be “Ziehen Sie die erreichten Punkte der Hausaufgaben (zur Berechnung der Note) heran, oder nur die Anzahl der abgegebenen Hausaufgaben?”). Please note that this sounds a bit old and would only be used in formal written German, it’s rather unusual in oral German.

However, there are some other minor (and one major) mistakes:

• You don’t say die kriegte Punkte, but “die erreichten Punkte” instead!
    Alternatives would be “die erhaltenen Punkte” or “die bekommenen Punkte”.
  • The genitive of der Kurs is des Kurses.
  • There should be a comma (,) before oder.
  • To let the sentence sound nicer and make clear that it’s not “either only the points or only the number of homework handed in”, but rather “number and points, or only number”, you could add the word auch:

Verwenden Sie auch die erreichten Punkte …

While you do not say this either, the grammatically correct form would be "die gekriegten Punkte". – O. R. Mapper Dec 2 '15 at 18:09
    Please don’t mention every single mistake the OP made in an answer. Rather, if they are not part of the original question being asked (such as the comma and the question mark; the question was mainly about wordings), edit the question. Maybe leave a note to explain why you edited things. Because the question mark is extremely obvious, I edited it into the question and removed it from your answer. – Jan Dec 3 '15 at 17:23
  • @Jan Ok, I agree on the question mark, but the question is "Is this right? I'm not very sure about the "verwenden"." - so the OP asks for a full review of his translation, but with special attention on the verb "verwenden". Anyway, I would say that correcting a mistake in the answer and pointing it out to the OP this way is better than ignoring or silently editing it away... – Byte Commander Dec 3 '15 at 19:19

Also possible: "Wie wird meine Note errechnet?"

While verwenden is not wrong, a better choice would be berücksichtigen.

So your sentence could be

Wie wird die Note des Kurses berechnet? (Verwenden / )Berücksichtigen Sie die erreichten Punkte der Hausaufgaben, oder nur (die Anzahl der abgegebenen Hausaufgaben / ) deren Anzahl?

Verwenden can be translated as to use or to make use of, while berücksichtigen translates to take into account. Since the marks are not used as such, but only respected, or taken into account, *berücksichtigen is the better word choice.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.