I was wondering if there is a difference in the usage between merkwürdig and seltsam. My German to English dictionary translates both to peculiar or odd. Can I use them interchangably?

Colloquially, they are usually interchangeable. In any case, you should consider the differences.

Since merkwürdig derives from merken (remember) and würdig (worthy), it characterizes something deserving to be remembered, or at least to be noticed (bemerken). There’s a synonym called bemerkenswert which still conveys the original meaning.

On the other hand, seltsam means that something’s seldom (selten) and that it’s odd and unusual. Today, it’s used like “odd” in English (like in “That’s odd” or “the child exhibits an odd behavior”).

If you look up their etymologies, you’ll realize that they originally had a very distinct meaning. In everyday use, you usually don’t have to ponder the differences.

• I totally agree, but bemerkenswert is not a synonym (anymore), as you say yourself in your last paragraph. – user568 Dec 14 '15 at 17:15

Based on the literal meanings, I would think merkwürdig is closer to the English term curious (That's a curious way to make a cake) when applied to a phenomenon while seltsam is more like unusual or awkward. At the same time, common meaning has probably left the logic, as often happens in language.

Yes, merkwürdig is closer to the English term curious, but it still has a negative touch. I would translate curious, in a positive or neutral meaning, as interessant or eigenartig. – Iris Dec 14 '15 at 15:27

There is no important difference. You can use them synonymously.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.