I want to answer the question “Wie oft räumen Sie Ihr Zimmer auf?”, saying that I clean my room once a week.

I know that I have to put auf at the end of my answer (because it is a separable verb) and thus if I just want to say that I clean my room, I would say:

Ich räume mein Zimmer auf.

But how do I add once a week or twice a week or something like that?

I searched the phrase once a week, and I think it is wöchentlich.

So will it be valid to say the following?

Ich räume wöchentlich mein Zimmer auf.

Ich räume wöchentlich mein Zimmer auf.

This is correct. Starting from here, there are several options to indicate other intervals:

n-wöchentlich

You could say zweiwöchentlich, dreiwöchentlich etc., which means that you perform the activity once every n weeks. However, these words sound quite formal and are mostly used in written announcements such as "Die Zeitschrift erscheint zweiwöchentlich.", "Die Veranstaltung findet dreiwöchentlich statt."

The same works with other intervals, as well:

• zweimonatlich means once every two months
  • zweijährlich means once every two years etc.

n-mal pro Woche; alle n Wochen

This expression can be used in all contexts and is also somewhat more flexible than the above one:

• If the frequency of the described event is higher than the reference interval (e.g. a week), you can say dreimal pro Woche (three times every week).
  • If the frequency of the described event is lower than the reference interval, you can say [einmal] alle drei Wochen ([once] every three weeks).
  • Lastly, you can also express other intervals like this, e.g. fünfmal alle zwei Wochen (five times every two weeks).
| improve this answer | |
    Placing the expression just before auf is also correct: Ich räume mein Zimmer wöchentlich auf / Ich räume mein Zimmer zweimal pro Woche auf. This order emphasises the temporal information you want to convey, especially if you are responding to the question Wie oft...? – Futurecat Dec 6 '15 at 17:39
    zweimal wöchentlich also works instead of zweimal pro Woche or zweimal in der Woche. To keep in mind: eine zweiwöchige Veranstaltung is an event that lasts for 2 weeks, whereas eine zweiwöchentliche Veranstaltung takes place every other week. – Crissov Dec 6 '15 at 21:14
    @Crissov: True. dreimal zweiwöchentlich, on the other hand, seems to sound strangely weird and less comprehensible than dreimal alle zwei Wochen. – O. R. Mapper Dec 6 '15 at 21:34
    And then there’s also n-mal die Woche, although I’m not sure how colloquial it actually is. – Jan Dec 7 '15 at 13:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.