"The new car of my friend" or "My friend's new car"

let's take the second one: " My friend's new car "

in German , could we say : das neuen Auto meines Freundes. ?

I need help to find the correct translation..

Could you please explain what you found in your grammar and what questions remain? – Stephie Dec 10 '15 at 16:00
  • @Stephie is the german translation of the sentence True or False? – user19427 Dec 10 '15 at 16:09
  • False, at least the first bolded part. – Stephie Dec 10 '15 at 16:13
  • ok , give me the correct translation to the sentence: "My friend's new car" – user19427 Dec 10 '15 at 16:15
    I'll give you this: meta.german.stackexchange.com/questions/628/… and urge you to take the tour and visit our help center. – Stephie Dec 10 '15 at 16:58

"new" modifies "car", so "neu" needs to be the same case as "Auto": das neue Auto

"My Friend's" is the only Genitiv here and translates to "meines Freundes" / "meiner Freundin".

So "my friend's new car" translates to "das neue Auto meines Freundes / meiner Freundin"

• another question , the sentence " the new car" is in German " das neue auto" .. why not "das neu auto" , bacause "Auto" is neutral not feminin.. I know that there a grammar to use the adjective, can you please remind me why have you written "neue" and not "neu" .. and thank you so much.: – user19427 Dec 10 '15 at 16:45
  • Susanne, note why we generally discourage translation requests - it snowballs quickly. It seems OP never checked a grammar book or similar, just expects us to do the work. You'll find more about that on Meta or just ask over on chat. Nevertheless, welcome to German SE - did you take the tour and visit our help center for more information about this specific SE site. – Stephie Dec 10 '15 at 16:49
  • You might want to start here, for example. – Stephie Dec 10 '15 at 16:56

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.