"The new car of my friend" or "My friend's new car"

let's take the second one: " My friend's new car "

in German , could we say : das neuen Auto meines Freundes. ?

I need help to find the correct translation..

closed as off-topic by Stephie, Em1, boaten, Hubert Schölnast, Jan Dec 10 '15 at 23:36

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "This site is about the usage and rules of the German language. It is not well-suited to replace dictionaries, grammar books or similar. If you have already consulted such general references and still have questions, please edit your question to explain what you found and why it did not help. See this post on Meta for more information." – Stephie, Em1, boaten
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Could you please explain what you found in your grammar and what questions remain? – Stephie Dec 10 '15 at 16:00
  • @Stephie is the german translation of the sentence True or False? – user19427 Dec 10 '15 at 16:09
  • False, at least the first bolded part. – Stephie Dec 10 '15 at 16:13
  • ok , give me the correct translation to the sentence: "My friend's new car" – user19427 Dec 10 '15 at 16:15
    I'll give you this: meta.german.stackexchange.com/questions/628/… and urge you to take the tour and visit our help center. – Stephie Dec 10 '15 at 16:58

"new" modifies "car", so "neu" needs to be the same case as "Auto": das neue Auto

"My Friend's" is the only Genitiv here and translates to "meines Freundes" / "meiner Freundin".

So "my friend's new car" translates to "das neue Auto meines Freundes / meiner Freundin"

• another question , the sentence " the new car" is in German " das neue auto" .. why not "das neu auto" , bacause "Auto" is neutral not feminin.. I know that there a grammar to use the adjective, can you please remind me why have you written "neue" and not "neu" .. and thank you so much.: – user19427 Dec 10 '15 at 16:45
  • Susanne, note why we generally discourage translation requests - it snowballs quickly. It seems OP never checked a grammar book or similar, just expects us to do the work. You'll find more about that on Meta or just ask over on chat. Nevertheless, welcome to German SE - did you take the tour and visit our help center for more information about this specific SE site. – Stephie Dec 10 '15 at 16:49
  • You might want to start here, for example. – Stephie Dec 10 '15 at 16:56

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.