I am a spanish speaker but I'm learning german from english. I am learning german by myself and it is a little hard. I am using http://www.memrise.com/ to learn german. The method to learn by repeat the words is good. But I want to learn the grammatical part or the correct way to make a sentence, and my question is, when I have to use ein or eine in the sentences?

closed as too broad by boaten, dakab, Medi1Saif, Hubert Schölnast, Em1 Dec 12 '15 at 10:25

Please edit the question to limit it to a specific problem with enough detail to identify an adequate answer. Avoid asking multiple distinct questions at once. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

This question is a bit broad. Could you specify what exactly you are aiming for? Is this about gender, or about definite/indefinite articles, or about word order, or anything else? For example, what would be your analogous answer to the question "When do you have to use un*/*una in a Spanish sentence?" – O. R. Mapper Dec 11 '15 at 17:55

In a nutshell...

Both ein and eine are articles, indefinite articles, as a and an in English, but unlike English, you have to use them with gender concordance. In German nouns might be, as in Spanish, masculine or feminine, but unlike Spanish, also neutral. Unlike Spanish, German has also an extra coordinate called case (Fall or Kasus). The case can be nominative, genitive, dative or accusative. You won't fully soon all that what case conveys, so don't worry if you don't understand all by now.

You use:

• ein as the indefinite article for nominative neutral or masculine nouns. Or as accusative indefinite article of a neutral name.
  • eine is the indefinite article for feminine nouns in accusative, feminine.

Eine is used for feminine nouns:

Das ist eine Katze. (Esta es una gata.)

Ein is used for masculine and neuter nouns:

Das ist ein Auto (nt). (Este es un coche.)

Das ist ein Hund(m). (Este es un perro.)

Hope this helps.

• Vielleicht noch sagen, dass es der unbestimmte Artikel ist (im Ggs. zum bestimmten (der, die, das)). – user unknown Dec 11 '15 at 18:03

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.