For example, move a game piece and use it to tap on another game piece.
So far, I think it is likely antasten most likely (I have consulted dict.leo.org). I would be grateful if a native German speaker or at least someone with experience with application localization would confirm or correct this thought.

Tap and press describe two different actions, in my opinion. The former means gently hit against the piece and then withdraw, which I would translate with klopfen or antippen. The latter means "apply a constant pressure", which I would translate with drücken.

• The whole expression would be "auf den Spielstein klopfen" or "den Spielstein antippen". – Frederik Kaster Dec 21 '15 at 19:06
  • I have to ask my son, the wordings change daily for these purposes.. – user19546 Dec 21 '15 at 19:16
  • Yes. That makes more sense. Ich denke "auf den Spielstein klopfen" klingt am besten. Danke sehr. – RJD Dec 21 '15 at 19:16
    I've never heard "klopfen" with touch screens. "Klopfen" may also imply a few hard knocks, like on a door, which doesn't sound like what one would do on a smart phone. – Robert Dec 21 '15 at 23:22
    "Antippen" or maybe "berühren" (touch) is better. You don't knock (anklopfen) a screen – Iris Dec 21 '15 at 23:44

As someone who plays mobile games, I would recommend antippen or berühren. But berühren may sound weird if used repeatedly.

I would advise against klopfen unless you want a series of 2 or 3 short touches (like knocking with a finger), then it would be the term of my choice.

I would avoid antasten it sounds weird, and I never heard it in the context of mobile applications.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.