I would like to know how dogs (i.e. all animals) would call us, if they could speak. Who are we relative to dogs?

Wer ist der Besitzer dieses Hundes?

Der Hund folgt seinem Eigentümer nach Hause.

I’ve also found the following results, but I’m not sure which is in use currently.

Hundehalter, Besitzer, Führer, Eigentümer

I would like to know how a dog (i.e. all animals) would call us, if they could speak. – Do­sen­öff­ner – Loong Dec 22 '15 at 22:10
    Herrchen, Frauchen – Gerhard Dec 22 '15 at 22:27
    I have a Frauchen, too. I’m a dog. I have a collar and a leash. Am I freaking you out? ;) – Jan Dec 23 '15 at 1:23
  • @Jan en.wikipedia.org/wiki/… – Carsten S Dec 23 '15 at 1:26
    Muss man die Hunde fragen. – user unknown Dec 23 '15 at 3:20

Male: Herrchen

Female: Frauchen

Quickly said: just the diminutive of "Herr" and "Frau".

|improve this answer|||||

It’s rather simple because you can just go by what somebody says when they are talking directly to a dog (that is not their’s — or maybe their’s but they want it to go to their spouse or whatnot).

Na Brauner, du sollst Frauchen doch nicht immer so mit der Leine hinter dir herzerren!

Schau mal, da drüben, dein Herrchen hat Leckerli!

Und wenn jetzt noch das Herrchen käme, um mit dir Gassi zu gehen …

The structure is basically the same compared to talking to a child. And when speaking to children, it is common for strangers to use die Mama or der Papa rather than your mother/father.

Of course, this heavily depends on the animal in question. Or, as the old joke goes:

Hunde haben Herrchen. Katzen haben Personal.

|improve this answer|||||

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.