I would like to text a question but every group has three items,so how could I indicate in question header that I'm implying just an option of three items?

For example:

Which three of following were the main social classes in medieval Europe? Welche drei der folgenden waren die wichtigsten sozialen Klassen im mittelalterlichen Europa?

A) x, y, z

B) k, l, m

C) x, l, k

And for the definetely true information, do we use "waren" or "zählt man als ..."? I hope my question is clear.

@CarstenS Regardless of how bad the title was, I don’t think you should have edited it to read this question needs a title
    – Jan
    Dec 27, 2015 at 17:14
  • @Jan, you may be right, but it achieved the desired result ;)
    – Carsten S
    Dec 27, 2015 at 17:19

1 Answer 1

To get it out of the way: Use waren here if there is an answer that is comprehensive — i.e. there are no classes outside of those mentioned in the answer list. Otherwise, use zählt man zu den …, i.e. if there is at least a fourth class.

Your sentence with welche drei der folgenden works. But the entire thing is still improveable. You are probably best with a more liberal translation:

Welche Dreiergruppe benennt die wichtigsten sozialen Klassen im mittelalterlichen Europe?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.