I see strange spelling and words in movie subtitles and books quite often. There are spellings like "ick" instead of "ich" and phrases like "Wat ist n det für n Blödsinn?". I need some online dictionary or a reference to be able to translate such things. Can you recommend some?

The problem is that most of these forms are somehow derived from the local dialect, so you would need a comprehensive set of books/references for all the different dialects of Germany, Austria, Switzerland and the other countries where German is spoken. It’s not as easy as e.g. (England) English where the colloquial forms are more or less similar all across the country, save the occasional local influence. – Jan Dec 29 '15 at 12:45
    Perhaps suggestions here are helpful. – Em1 Dec 29 '15 at 14:21
    Answers to this question could also go there: german.stackexchange.com/questions/349/… where a Berlin dialect dictionary is desperately missing. Ping to @Iris ;) – Takkat Dec 29 '15 at 16:11
    @onerror: All dialects use more or less regular sound shifts and shortenings. So the standard German variant is "Was ist denn das für ein Blödsinn?". The shortening of "ein/einen" to "n/nen" happens in many dialects, forms like "ick, icke" and "wat" are typcal for Berlin dialect. Try to listen to some dialects and get a feel for the sound changes. And I've never seen a dictionary for English dialects, either, I learned them by listening to them. :-) – dirkt Dec 29 '15 at 20:37

What you mean is the Berliner slang. I think there's no translator like Google Translator or Leo.org available, because even people who use this language often don't really know how to write the words correctly :D

But you may find the most important phrases and words here: http://www.spreetaufe.de/berlinerisch-berliner-jargon/woerterbuch-berlinisch-a-h/

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.