Both appear as translations to to be used to something in Leo. Specifically, the difference between gewohnt and gewöhnt seems to escape me. Whereas Duden defines the former as

durch Gewohnheit üblich geworden; vertraut; bekannt

it doesn’t provide any definition for the latter. Leo seems to point to the fact that gewöhnt means accustomed, which sounds pretty similar to the definition from Duden for gewohnt.

Gewohnt is the adjective that describes that you are used to something.

Ich bin es gewohnt, dass...

Gewöhnt is the past participle form of gewöhnen and as such describes that you get used to something. This is also the reason you can't find it in Duden, because you have to look up the respective verb instead.

Ich habe mich daran gewöhnt, dass...

Ok, thanks. But what's the difference? – user19407 Jan 5 '16 at 15:47
    See the bold parts: "get used to" versus "are used to"; and one is a proper adjective and the other is a verbal form. – Em1 Jan 5 '16 at 15:48
  • it seems to me that both are adjectives in the original question (X sein vs Y sein), so in essence they're both saying "to be X or Y". You seem to be saying that the difference (or emphasis) is between already being some X vs being in the process of becoming Y. Did I get your meaning? – user19407 Jan 5 '16 at 15:51
    @AlanEvangelista Having looked it up, I also learned that you can drop "es" in the second sentence. That sounds odd to me as well, but apparently it's correct. So, after having learned that, I will now answer your question about what the difference is: There's only a very subtle difference and you can safely ignore this difference. – Em1 May 23 at 9:34
    @AlanEvangelista Here's my source: canoo.net/blog/2010/06/10/gewohnt-gewoehnt – Em1 May 23 at 9:35

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.