This is a sentence I found in Assimil, Chapter 37:

Das ist eines ihrer beliebtesten Ferienziele.

Ferienziele is plural and genitive, so I understand why ihrer beliebtesten is there. But I can't work out why eines is used. Eines is used for masculine and neuter genitive, where -(e)s is appended to the noun, but that's not the case here.

Is it because Ziel would be neuter if it weren't plural here? I'm sure I've covered this in a grammar book before, but it has slipped my mind.

Für das Maskulinum würde 'einer' benutzt werden: "Einer meiner Lieblingsschuhe treibt die Spree hinunter." Wir haben eine Menge Ziele, und eines davon wird näher beschrieben, als zu den beliebtesten gehörend. Californien und Rio sind zwei ihrer beliebtesten Ferienziele. Californien, Rio und der Regenwald in Kamerun sind drei ihrer beliebtesten Ferienziele. – user unknown Jan 13 '16 at 4:10
    Yes, neuter (nominative singular) because of das Ziel: one of their most popular destinations. – chirlu Jan 13 '16 at 4:14

In this sentences, they talk about one of the most favourite destinations.

[Ferien]Ziel is neuter in German (by the way, for the question of the correct gender it doesn't matter whether the word is used in singular or plural**).

You could now rephrase this sentence to:

Das ist ein Ferienziel ihrer beliebtesten Ferienziele.

And you can replace ein Ferienziel by the corresponding neuter indefinite pronoun eines.

Das ist eines ihrer beliebtesten Ferienziele.

You can compare this to the following sentences of same structure with different genders:

Das ist einer ihrer Lieblingspullover.
Das ist eine ihrer Lieblingshosen.
Das ist eines ihrer Lieblingsgetränke.

** That is one reason why guessing the gender from the noun doesn't work in many cases, but you need to know the gender to find the correct form of the noun. Example:

Hosen
Spatzen

Both look similar and both can be nominative plural of Hose and Spatz. However, die Hose is female und der Spatz is male.

"Das ist ein Ferienziel ihrer beliebtesten Ferienziele." - maybe it's just me, but this does not sound like the same statement to me. No matter how often I re-read this sentence, I am always getting the impression it says that "their favourite holiday destinations" have one or more holiday destinations of their own (whatever this is supposed to mean). I don't think you can simply replace eines like this. Compare a similar sentence: "Das ist ein Kunde seiner beliebtesten Kunden." has a different meaning from "Das ist einer seiner beliebtesten Kunden." – O. R. Mapper Jun 5 '16 at 17:55

Regardless of whether Ziel is used as singular or plural, it always applies the rules of a neuter noun.

So you said correctly that Ferienziele is genitive and the neuter indefinite pronoun of ein is eines.

Some of the following examples are only loosely translated!

Das ist eines ihrer beliebtesten Ferienziele. (neuter, nominative) [This is one of her favorite vacation destinations.]

Einer ist übrig, zwei habe ich verloren. (masculine, nominative) [One is left, I’ve lost two.]

Bis auf eine sind alle Schülerinnen da. (feminine, accusative) [Except for one all students are here.]

Könnte mir einer Hilfe leisten? (masculine, nominative) [Could someone give me assistance?]

Darf ich auch so ein[e]s haben? (neuter, accusative) [Can I have one like this too?]

Was für ein(e)s hätten Sie denn gern? (neuter, accusative) Which one would you like?

Wenn es einem nicht gut geht, sollte man sich im Verzicht üben. (masculine, dative) [If someone doesn’t feel well, one should practice self-denial.]

Davon wird einem ja schlecht! (masculine, dative) [This makes one feel sick!]

Die eine geht, die andere bleibt. (feminine, nominative) [One goes, one stays.]

In dieser Gemeinschaft hilft einer dem anderen. (masculine, nominative) [In this community one helps the other.]

Ein, eine, ein is an article, einer, eine, eines is an indefinite pronoun. Therefore it’s wrong to say eines is the neutral form of ein. – chirlu Jan 13 '16 at 7:31
  • Well, of course it is a neutral form in this case. If you said Das ist einer meiner Hunde. it is masculine. – jera Jan 13 '16 at 7:40
    Yes, but it is not a form of ein. – chirlu Jan 13 '16 at 7:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.