Heute tragen viele Straßen seinen Namen.

What is the -n in end of Namen.
Of course, it's not plural because he has just one name.

2 Answers 2

Namen is the accusative form of Name. You can determine the case of an objective by asking following questions:

• Wer oder was? Nominativ
  • Wen oder was? Akkusativ
  • Wem oder was? Dativ
  • Wessen oder was? Genitiv

So, in this case you ask "Wen oder was trägt die Straße?" — "Seinen Namen".

The definite article is also dependent on the case.

• Nominativ: sein
  • Akkusativ: seinen
  • Dativ: seinem
  • Genitiv: seines
    Using these question to determine which case should has been used is pretty pointless for a non-native learner of German ;)
    – Gerhard
    Jan 14, 2016 at 1:26
  • @Gerhard I don't know that, this is what I was taught in school xD but with the second method you can determine the case of the objects in a given sentence.
    – Armin
    Jan 14, 2016 at 1:30
    Yes, me too. And it works nicely for a native German speaker to identify the cases in a sentence, because you know which question "sounds" correct. A non-native speaker does not have this feeling, at least not for quite a while.
    – Gerhard
    Jan 14, 2016 at 1:40
  • Thank you @armin , but as Gehraed said , theese questions can't help non-native students :) , thank you again
    – a_barsa
    Jan 14, 2016 at 10:05
  • @a_barsa well, there nothing more than telling you that tragen requires the abusive.
    – Armin
    Jan 14, 2016 at 10:07

As you can see in the above reply, there are different cases for the the substantives. In this case it is Wen oder Was? the Akkusativ case, which results in sein Name becoming seinen Namen.

It is just a rule of German grammar and might not make any sense to you if you are not familiar with German grammar in general.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.