Ich habe meinen Bruder zu Flughafen genommen.

Is it OK to use the verb nehmen in this situation? I don’t know why I think that sentence is a little weird.

What if I use the verb gefahren?

• ad 1) zu dem Flughafen => zum Flughafen. – user unknown Jan 16 '16 at 22:12

Correct is:

Ich habe meinen Bruder zum Flughafen gefahren.

This implies, that you used a vehicle and only dropped him off without staying there yourself.

Also working:

Ich habe meinen Bruder zum Flughafen mitgenommen.

(I gave my brother a lift to the airport)

This could also have been happened by bus or subway and indicates, that you wanted to go to the airport too.

If you didn't use a vehicle, or if you don't want to stress the fact that you were driving yourself, you can also use "gebracht" instead of "gefahren". – Uwe Jan 15 '16 at 16:59
  • »Ich habe meinen Bruder zum Flughafen gefahren« is unusual in Austria. In Austria you better should use the version using »mitgenommen«. Also possible (and more common than gefahren in Austria): »Ich habe meinen Bruder zum Flughafen geführt«. – Hubert Schölnast Jan 16 '16 at 12:36
    @HubertSchölnast: I think it is noteworthy to mention that when using these Austrian words in Germany, mitgenommen will not cause any trouble, but geführt will not be understood in Germany, or will at least be misinterpreted. So, in this case, both words should be remembered. – O. R. Mapper Jan 16 '16 at 17:50
    Using "mitgenommen" implies that you would have gone there anyways and, since you were going there, you offered your brother a lift. If you did not plan on going to the airport, the first version with "gefahren" would be better. – xmjx Jan 18 '16 at 8:37
  • Mitnehmen can also be split here: ‘Ich habe meinen Bruder mit zum Flughafen genommen.’ – Jan Jan 18 '16 at 17:34

The usage of the pair nehmen/bringen differs from that of take/bring. In this case you would use bringen. You can of course, just as in English, also use a more specific verb like fahren, tragen, or whatever applies.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.