In a reading lesson, the teacher may lead students to see beyond the literal meaning of words in a text, using a variety of clues to have students understand what the writer states implicitly.

In this context, I'm having difficulties translating bold typed part in German, could this: "jemanden etwas tun lassen" make any sense if I had used, my attempt was like:

[...]mit einer Vielzahl von Hinweisen lässt er sich Schüler verstehen,was ein Autor implizit betont.

Your general idea is right but you made a mistake.

[..] lässt er sich Schüler verstehen [..]

is not understandable. The word sich symbolizes that the teacher does this for him- or herself.

For this fragment, you don't need any reflexive component, so

[..] lässt er die Schüler verstehen [..]

would be the correct translation.

You also made another mistake by translating the English definite article the with the indefinite German article ein.

So

[..] was ein Autor implizit betont.

should be

[..] was der Autor implizit betont.

| improve this answer | |
    Isn't "implizit betont" a contradiction? Either it is emphasized or implied... – Iris Jan 20 '16 at 15:16
  • @Iris you're right,I haven't thought about that xD – Armin Jan 20 '16 at 15:42
  • @Iris do you mean my translation was wrong, would I had used maybe "erklären" ? – Dragut Jan 20 '16 at 19:53
  • @Bergmann your translation means something along the line implicitly emphasize which is antonymous because if something is emphasized, it is not implicit... – Armin Jan 20 '16 at 19:56
    @Bergmann I'd translate`` to state `` with nennen, darlegen or bekunden. – Armin Jan 20 '16 at 20:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.