The word Glanz is adopted by Irmgard Keun in the work Das kunstseidene Mädchen and it is a keyword belonging to the trend “Neue Sachlichkeit”. Glanz is meant to describe a synesthetic experience in the metropolis, that shines of this Glanz. But it is a dazzling brightness, it doesn’t just illuminate.

What I did not get, is the meaning that brings this word in the context of Doris’ story. In the so criticized metropolis, she creates his freedom and directs her glance to the city like it was a way of learning. The original fact is that she uses her eyes as a camera to catch everything that happens to make, in the end, this story, that is a kind of film; so she uses the “dehumanising mass media” as a new way of doing literature. And the text talks about her, taken by an inebriating vision.

Would it be possible that Glanz has a correlation with the English word glance in this case?

I don't think so. – Carsten S Jan 21 '16 at 12:10
    It is never used even remotely in that sense. However, we would need the full excerpt to answer that question. – adhominem Jan 21 '16 at 12:23
  • The German Glanz is English gloss. The English word Glace is a false friend and means Blick. – Iris Jan 21 '16 at 12:25
  • I didn't write Glace, but Glance – Roberta R. Jan 21 '16 at 12:39
    I have an spelling mistake in my comment: The English word Glance is a false friend and means Blick. – Iris Jan 21 '16 at 12:58

My guess is the "gloss" is actually referring to the glossy "kunstseiden" textile in the title, and thus referring to the cheap imitation of something valuable - silk.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.