What is the difference between arbeiten in, … aus and … bei? Even if it seems that the second one means ‘from’ and the first one ‘at’ (from wordreference.com), when I wrote:

“Ich arbeite in der Uni.”

“Ich arbeite aus die der Uni.”

“Ich arbeite bei der Uni.”

It seems to be the same for it according to the messy translate.google.com and languagetool.org.

| improve this question | | | | |
  • Why do you think that these two mean they same? The second is just wrong. – Carsten S Jan 25 '16 at 19:14
  • translate.google and languagetool.org told me... – Revolucion for Monica Jan 25 '16 at 19:20
  • Google gets most related simple sentences absolutely right. What exactly did you try to translate and where exactly did the translators fail you? I put some links into the question to show what I think you might have been doing – but I can’t make sense out of it, because I see no problem (except with wordreference.com maybe). – Crissov Jan 25 '16 at 20:30
    Of course, automatic translation is garbage in — something out. – Carsten S Jan 25 '16 at 20:35
  • Ich arbeite in Berlin aus Spaß an der Freude bei der Humbold-Uni. – user unknown Jan 26 '16 at 0:36

in der Uni - would mean inside (location).
aus die Uni - is incorrect.
bei der Uni - doesn't sound natural.

I work at the University. (Correct)
Ich arbeite an der Uni.

You would use bei if you are talking about a company.
Ich arbeite bei einer Firma.

| improve this answer | | | | |
    Ich arbeite bei einer Firma. – hiergiltdiestfu Jan 25 '16 at 20:22
  • Welcome to the German Language StackExchange. If you want, you can take the tour, or take a look at the help center. Have a nice day! – hiergiltdiestfu Jan 25 '16 at 20:22
    Bei der Uni is perfectly fine, to express the fact, that your office is near the university, but one does not work for the university itself. – guidot Jan 26 '16 at 7:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.