This question already has an answer here:

I am rather new to the German language but I have been following it since I have an interest in it. The first problem I encountered in my studies is that I couldn't help but wonder, how does the German language differentiate the gender of nouns and other words. Is there a pattern or is it just pure classification?

marked as duplicate by hiergiltdiestfu, user unknown, chirlu, Em1, Crissov Jan 28 '16 at 15:57

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

Danke schön Herr Takkat!! – Das Fluffy Jan 28 '16 at 12:14
    What do you mean with other words? Verbs, for instance? Verbs don't have gender. The (gender of nouns) and (other words)? Hm? What's the question? The language itself does not differentiate, the users of the language do things, and they do it by using the language. – user unknown Jan 28 '16 at 12:20
  • Differentiate the gender of nouns: Here one has to deal with it, you just have to learn the gender of almost every substantive (although there are a bunch of rules [albeit with exceptions], which in very few cases help to you to determine it).

• "Other words": Only nouns have a gender. Some of the "other words" sort of acquire a gender when combined with a noun. At a beginner's level, all words you need are registered in the respective Wiktionary's entry to that word. For instance if you need rot (red) you to to:

https://de.wiktionary.org/wiki/Flexion:rot

and after opening it by a second time you no longer wonder about the many entries : )

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.