Consider the english sentence: “You should change your password frequently” (or “One should change one's password frequently.”)

What word would be used to translate your above? I know that man would be used to translate you, but I don't know what the possessive form of man would be.

Can you repeat man but add an -s to make it possessive? (e.g., „Man soll häufig mans Kennwort ändern.“) Or is there some other word that can be used instead?


1 Answer 1


In this case you simply use sein (=his):

Man soll sein Passwort regelmäßig ändern.

  • Since you rolled back, I’ll have to note here that regelmäßig doesn’t mean the same as frequently.
    – chirlu
    Jan 31, 2016 at 6:08
  • That's fine. I was merely shooting for an idiomatic expression.
    – Ingmar
    Jan 31, 2016 at 6:28

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.