Would German-speaking people notice the difference of pronunciation between iShelf and iSelf?

Yes, they would.

iShelf is pronounced [aɪʃɛlf] and iSelf is pronounced [aɪsɛlf]. The differing sounds [ʃ] and [s] are both part of the German phoneme repertoire and distinguishing them is essential to understand the German language. For example, the German words Busch ([bʊʃ]) and Bus ([bʊs]) or Sex ([sɛks]) and Schecks ([ʃɛks]) only differ by that sound. Thus German ears are trained to that difference and will notice it.

By contrast, Germans usually have problems in recognising the difference between man ([mæn]) and men ([mɛn]), as [æ] is not part of the German phoneme repertoire.

Does their language need to comprise a phoneme for them to recognize such a difference? If one says mään (“man”) and menn (“men”), it’s quite distinguishable. More than, say, “jews” and “juice”. – dakab Jan 31 '16 at 10:16
    @dakab: Does their language need to comprise a phoneme for them to recognize such a difference? – If the phonemes are close, it certainly helps and it’s the only reason I could think of why distinguishing the two could fail at all. Germans certainly have no trouble in distinguishing [æ] from [þ] (one of the English th sounds), though both are not German phonemes. — If one says mään (“man”) and menn (“men”), it’s quite distinguishable. – Yes, but that would be [mɛːn] vs. [mɛn]. The former has little to do with actual English pronunciation. – Wrzlprmft Jan 31 '16 at 10:27
    Busch:Bus is not an appropriate minimal pair here, because whether phonemes are distinguished also depends on their syllabic position. In final/coda position, German has /-ʃ/ and /-s/ indeed (and no /-z/), but in initial/onset position it natively only has /ʃ-/ and /z-/ (no /s-/). Originally, initial /s-/ can be a dialectal allophone (e.g. /staɪn/ in Hamburg), but there are loan words now to make minimal pairs or even triples (in Standard German at least), e.g. Sex:sechs:Schecks (plus Checks /tʃ-/, Jacks /(d)ʒ-/, Specks, steck’s, schmeck’s, schleck’s as required – Swags?). – Crissov Jan 31 '16 at 11:29
  • @Wrzlprmft: By mään, I meant /mæn/, the common English pronunciation of “man”, which certainly has sth. to do with English. I doubt that “man” and “men”—properly vocalized—are difficult for Germans to differentiate. – dakab Jan 31 '16 at 11:47
    @dakab: I doubt that “man” and “men”—properly vocalized—are difficult for Germans to differentiate. – Well, I have no statistics on this, but I have heard German native speakers claim that man and men do not differ in pronunciation at least three times in my life. – Wrzlprmft Jan 31 '16 at 15:29

Absolutely. [s] and [ʃ] represent different phonemes in German (just as in English), so speakers of German will distinguish them.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.