Today I came across a German noun that does not seem to have a gender. That’s the word Jura translated as law. Usage example:

In Syrien hat sie Jura und Inneneinrichtung studiert.

Are there any (other) German nouns that do not have a gender?

• should we list you all of them? – Roman T Feb 4 '16 at 15:22
    I disagree that Jura does not have a gender. I believe it to be feminine/plural gender (can’t tell which exactly, but an article would be die). – Jan Feb 4 '16 at 15:31
    Sanitär doesn't have a gender either (laut dem Duden). – c.p. Feb 4 '16 at 15:31
    Yes, with regard to both Jura and Sanitär Duden states: Substantiv ohne Artikel – Eugene Str. Feb 4 '16 at 15:37
    Note that the absence of an article doesn’t necessarily imply absence of gender, which can also be expressed by an adjective. On the other hand, there are words with article for which no gender can be determined, in particular plural-only words: die Kosten, die Alpen. – chirlu Feb 4 '16 at 17:16

Are there any (other) German nouns that do not have a gender?

Yes. There are nouns in German without articles or with Nullartikel. I have used this trick to find German nouns without an article.

Many entries in that list are questionable. I flat-out reject foreign words such as East or Est. I also flat-out reject the Wochentagfrüh constructions which I consider to be noun and adjective and to be written as two words. I reject person names for requiring articles in my colloquial speech (der Jonas) and so on and so forth. – Jan Feb 5 '16 at 1:03
  • @Jan but it's the Duden ... – Amabile Scientius Feb 5 '16 at 2:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.