I've translated this phrase like below but I'm not sure does it make sense. I'll appreciate any help especially on bold typed part. Because I stumble upon this for the first time.

In contrast with the deductive method, inductive instruction makes use of student “noticing”.(Im Gegensatz zu der deduktiven Methode,induktive Einführung macht Gebrauch von Schüler "Bemerkung".)

von etw. Gebrauch machen

is indeed one of the possible translations of "make use of sth.". Nonetheless, it does not really fit in your actual context. If you want to express "make use of sth." in a sense of exploiting, you must use:

etw. ausnutzen

Further, your translations of "noticing" and "instruction" are not really correct either. I think it must be sth. like

Im Gegensatz zur deduktiven Methode, nutzt induktiver Unterricht das schülerische "Begreifen" aus.

I'm not 100% sure whether this is a correct translation of "noticing", since it's a special term used in teaching.

• Good suggestions. Perhaps "Wahrnehmen" or "Wahrnehmungen" could be another option for "noticing". (It's more literal and fits with the original article's explanation: "[the students] come to understand the rule by noticing what those examples have in common.") Ah, and the comma after "Methode" is superfluous. – Peter - Reinstate Monica Feb 5 '16 at 18:09
  • The comma in the 3rd suggestion is wrong: Im Gegensatz zur deduktiven Methode nutzt induktiver Unterricht ... – RHa May 31 '17 at 12:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.