How does one determine what da-compound to use if there is no fixed preposition in a sentence? For example: Sie konnte ihre Brille nicht finden, denn sie saß darauf. How can I know what pronominal adverb to use?

closed as unclear what you're asking by chirlu, Jan, boaten, Medi1Saif, Em1 Feb 5 '16 at 8:26

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

• Hi and welcome to German Language Stack Exchange. Feel free to take a tour of the site. Your question is unclear and thus may be closed. Please edit it to include further information/context. I find it hard to imagine such a case. All you need to know about editing, closing and reopening questions can be found in the help center. – Jan Feb 4 '16 at 22:45
  • An example would go a long way already. – chirlu Feb 4 '16 at 22:53
    Your example: auf etwas sitzen. – Jan Feb 4 '16 at 23:07
  • @Jan What if in a sentence, you have to fill in the missing pronominal adverb? Like during an exam. – user20212 Feb 4 '16 at 23:13
    Quite simply, you choose the preposition that makes the most sense in the given context. This is not a grammar question. – chirlu Feb 4 '16 at 23:49

Maybe there's no fixed preposition in your sentence, because you don't know it. Some verbs tend to prefer to be in company of certain prepositions (which, again, highly depends on the context). By that I mean, that you even something need to learn the pairs

( preposition ,verb ).

Don't forget to learn the case the preposition has.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.