What are the differences between gelingen and gelangen? I am confused about the usage differences between to succeed and to reach.

closed as off-topic by chirlu, Crissov, hiergiltdiestfu, guidot, Em1 Feb 11 '16 at 8:30

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "This site is about the usage and rules of the German language. It is not well-suited to replace dictionaries, grammar books or similar. If you have already consulted such general references and still have questions, please edit your question to explain what you found and why it did not help. See this post on Meta for more information." – chirlu, Crissov, hiergiltdiestfu, guidot, Em1
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

• Does it help to have two examples?_Der Plan gelingt (the plan succeeds)_ and Ich gelangte an das Ziel (I reached the goal) – Iris Feb 10 '16 at 23:35
    They are completely different words, with unrelated meanings. Any dictionary will tell you what each of them means. – chirlu Feb 11 '16 at 6:22
  • Apart from sharing the same past tense forms, they don't have anything in common. They are unrelated, as chirlu pointed out. – Chieron Feb 11 '16 at 6:31
    @chirlu, aparently OP did check a dictionary... – Stephie Feb 11 '16 at 6:35
  • @Chieron same past tense? I don't agree at all. – Stephie Feb 11 '16 at 6:59

Gelingen focuses on the successful outcome:
a plan that works out, a cake that turns out or a sports move that went as planned can all "gelingen".

Gelangen refers to reaching some position, either in a purely spatial or figurative sense; it can indicate some effort or coincidence:
A traveler arriving at a town, a manager reaching a certain position, a message in a bottle washing up on a shore or chemicals being found in the food chain may all "gelangen".

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.