I hear it everyday in the bus I travel

Dieser Bus fahrt ab Roßmarkt zum Hainig.
Dieser Bus fahrt ab Roßmarkt nach Grafenrheinfeld.

Why are two different prepositions used in the sentence which means the same?

On what basis should I choose between nach and zu?

Related: german.stackexchange.com/questions/8479/… – Carsten S Feb 11 '16 at 7:07
  • @CarstenS: that was something really perfect for what i was looking for.. thanks for the link. – Vini Feb 11 '16 at 7:12
  • To the close voter: no duplicate b/c of different language: meta.german.stackexchange.com/questions/14/… – Stephie Feb 11 '16 at 9:00
    Also related: german.stackexchange.com/q/23860/15318 – Jan Feb 12 '16 at 0:38
    I’ll admit that it can get really confusing: The Munich underground line U6 stops at a station labelled Harras and one labelled Großhadern. Naively by looking at the underground map, one would assume both to be boroughs of Munich but only Großhadern is one; Harras is actually a square — and to make matters worse it comes with an article (and usually also with an so am Harras). So the underground goes nach Großhadern but zum Harras. – Jan Feb 12 '16 at 0:41

Very rough rule, I'm sure there are some exception:

Nach is used for villages, towns, cities and other forms of named human settlements.

Wir fahren nach Wien.

Zum/Zur/Zu den + is used for all other named places.

Wir fahren zur Donau. (a river)
Wir fahren zum Ötscher. (a mountain)
Wir fahren zum Stephansplatz. (a square in a city)
Wir fahren zum Heumarkt. (a place that takes its name from a market that used to be there)

• So i should suppose Hainig is also some sort of other named place. Is it the same with the usage of ab Roßmarkt as well? – Vini Feb 11 '16 at 6:57
    @Vini Haining is an industrial estate, so yes, "other named place" fits. – Stephie Feb 11 '16 at 7:07
  • @stephie: I did not know what was Hainig. For me they are all bus stations :). But thanks for the link. – Vini Feb 11 '16 at 8:52

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.