I don't see myself good at referring a noun secondly in other part of sentences that its subject is the same thing. That's why for simplicity I go for "es". But I think "es" is used only when the article of a noun "das" is. Could you please explain the rules on following sample if that works?

In diesem Satz ist eine Präposition falsch gewählt und deshalb verursacht (sie/die) die Ausdrucksfehler?

I know using here "sie/die" may be superfluous,but say that I have to use.

You don’t necessarily need to repeat the noun:

In diesem Satz ist eine Präposition falsch gewählt und verursacht deshalb (die/einen) Ausdrucksfehler

Would be perfect German. I would prefer to leave out the die/einen.

Or, in two sentences:

In diesem Satz ist eine Präposition falsch gewählt. Dies verursacht Ausdrucksfehler

In this case, dies serves the purpose of the article. Here as well, I would prefer to leave out I put in brackets.

| improve this answer | |
    The two sentence example has a different meaning though. In the first example, the preposition is the cause of the errors, while in the second, the choosing of the wrong preposition is causing them. – Ralph M. Rickenbach Feb 17 '16 at 7:29
  • Should it be "deshalb (*den*/einen) Ausdrucksfehler"? – Iris Feb 17 '16 at 8:22
    @Iris It could be multiple mistakes, though the singular indefinite article seems best fitting. – Chieron Feb 17 '16 at 8:24
  • Die Preapostion.=> dies or diese verursacht...? – user1474062 Feb 17 '16 at 8:39
  • @Iris,Ausdrucksfehler is multiple. – user1474062 Feb 17 '16 at 8:40

Using sie to rereference the noun is one correct way to go. As Tofro pointed out, some people may find other varieties more beautiful.

In diesem Satz ist eine Präposition falsch gewählt und deshalb verursacht sie die Ausdrucksfehler.

| improve this answer | |
  • I've noticed two different word order between yours and Tofro's that was: "[...]und deshalb verursacht [...]", "[...]und verursacht deshalb[...]".Now I wonder what is difference between the two :/ – Dragut Feb 17 '16 at 21:06
  • @Dragut The key difference is the missing sie in Tofro’s answer. I made two main clauses connected with und; the second clause must have something between conjunction and verb so that the verb is second. Tofro’s version is more of a single main clause in which the subject is not repeated in the second half and therefore verursacht must be following und immediately. – Jan Feb 26 '16 at 0:51

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.