I would like to know if I can use "gerundetes Gesicht" in the place of "rundes Gesicht" without changing the meaning of the text below?

Ein rundes Gesicht wirkt durch die passenden Langhaarfrisuren optisch schmaler und besser proportioniert – es lohnt sich also, beim Friseur und beim Stylen zu Hause auf ein paar Dinge zu achten. Quelle.

Gerundetes Gesicht sounds like somebody had been seeing a retrophrenologist. – Wrzlprmft Feb 20 '16 at 16:19
    ....or a Mathematician ;). Hint: Most of the hits on a Google search for "gerundet" end up in a mathematical context, if you exclude dictionaries. – tofro Feb 20 '16 at 16:27
    rundliches Gesicht would work, though – Crissov Feb 20 '16 at 20:26
    @Crissov wobei ich bei "rund" an die Kopfform, bei "rundlich" an Pausbacken und etwas Übergewicht denke. – Stephie Feb 21 '16 at 6:19

Gerundet : Participle of "runden" - i.e making something round (numbers or shapes, typically), refers to something that has been made round - like abgerundete Kanten, gerundete Zahlen

Rund : Adjective - refers to something that is round.

A face that has been made round (by surgery or a retrophrenologist) would be gerundet.

A face that was born and grew up to be round would be just rund.

But admittedly, even native speakers get this wrong every now and then.

| improve this answer | |

No you can't, you have to stick with 'rundes'.

rund(es) -> round
gerundetes -> rounded

Using 'gerundet' implies that the object (like a number) has been rounded, but not that it 'appears' round.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.