This is from a monologue of a young woman about her strange love (it's a large part of a long, multilayered story, with a lot of archaisms).

"Jetzt tändelt er mit mir und neckt und foppt mich, und ich weiß nicht, woran ich bin. Bin ich ihm lästig? Ein Kind, so wohlgetan? Sieht er nicht die Frau in mir? Was für ein Spiel treibt er nur?"

All the definitions of "wohlgetan" or "wohltun" I've been able to find (which isn't many) don't seem to fit. There hasn't been any interaction between them for the guy to praise her, and the other option seems to be that somebody there is feeling good, but I don't understand who... Another option I see is that it's to indicate a sort of condescending stance, that he treats her kindly but not seriously.

Edit: Link to the author's page on Wikipedia

The title of the book is: Das Spiel des Sängers

I understand this as "He treats me well, but like a kid" - But even for a native speaker the sense is hard to grasp. – tofro Mar 6 '16 at 11:28
    same here, i was pretty good in school at interpreting stuff, but this is kinda hard... i think @tofro is right, that he is favorable towards her, but treats her like a child... maybe it could help, if you mentioned where this monologue is from and what the context of the situation is... – Armin Mar 6 '16 at 11:36
  • It's from a book that I doubt anyone else has read, since I didn't find any ratings or reviews on Amazon (it's called "Das Spiel des Sängers"), but the context is quite well described in the quote. The guy has just kissed the girl without permission and she was outraged, although she's in love with him, except they have a history that makes clear communication difficult... I don't know if I would consider that kiss a reward. – khantazm Mar 6 '16 at 11:55
  • I get the impression that she repeats something that he had said about her. – Carsten S Mar 6 '16 at 12:44
    And it's always possible that the author just got one of the archaisms wrong. – Carsten S Mar 6 '16 at 12:50

The original meaning of “wohlgetan” is of course “done well”, but it also has taken the meaning of “beautiful” when applied to a person, see DWB. In this latter meaning the word is used earlier in the book in the line “Ich war ein Kind so wohlgetan” (taken from the Carmina Burana), apparently with some reference to the woman who is now unhappy about having been referred to as a child.

• Holy molly, we're there finally, and immediately bookmarking that source! But to explain the situation more in detail, the guy previously sang this song about the seduction of a pretty young girl, and he's acting in a very womanizing manner, so the young woman later wonders whether he's in it just for a fling (or to take advantage of her like an innocent child) and quotes the line from the poem he'd sung... At least I reckon it's something like that. – khantazm Mar 6 '16 at 18:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.