I recently asked a question regarding the proper German translation of Jesus Christ. I was told that Christ was Christus, and the genitive form was Christi. So I would just like some help understanding exactly how the genitive form works. This is probably really simple, but I just want to be sure. Thanks for your help in advance.

Are all of these proper translations, and using the genitive form correctly? If not, can you please correct them?

• The hands of Christ/Die Hände Christi (A physical part of Christ)

• The robe of Christ/Das Gewand Christi (A physical property belonging to Christ)

• The kiss of Christ/Der Kuss Christi (A conceptual noun pertaining to Christ)

• The disciple of Christ/Der Jünger Christi (Another person that does not literally belong to Christ)

You could of course also use the genitive as possessive attribute preceding the noun, Christi Hände, or you could use von plus dative, die Hände von Christus (nobody uses or expects the Latin inflection in dative and accusative any more), or sometimes even a compound, das Christusgewand. – Crissov Mar 8 '16 at 11:39

From what I see as a german native, your translations are correct. Also, the genitive (and other cases) of Christus are based on the Latin -o declination. This usually happens, when you are using words which have a Latin orgin.

For further explanations you can also look up this answer by Hubert Schölnast.

Well done, all translations are correct.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.