Stein and Felsen both translate to stone in English, but are they interchangeable? When I google images for both, I get mostly small palm-sized stones for Stein and something that I would call boulder for Felsen. Also I saw in my text-book expressions like:

Dieser steile Felsen ist sehr imposant.

but nothing with steiler Stein, which might signify that der Felsen are generally big in size.

So my question is: Can I translate Felsen with boulder and Stein with a small stone?

Please refrain from going into scientific definitions. This isn’t geological question. I just want to know how native speakers perceive the difference.

  • 1
    As I recently found out, the meaning of the English terms for stones of different sizes varies considerably between regions. Related: ell.stackexchange.com/questions/85817/…, english.stackexchange.com/questions/5931/… – chirlu Apr 3 '16 at 18:41
  • As a mnemonic you may use: You can jump from a Felsen into the sea [in Acapulco], and – after reaching the shore – you can pick up a flat Stein and skim it over the water surface. – Pollitzer Apr 4 '16 at 12:03
  • Stein can also translate to "rock", also "Felsen" can be a "rock". Große Steine in einem Fluß werden z. B. als rock übersetzt. – Steffen Roller Apr 5 '16 at 4:19

Your observation is right as far as i can tell. One would talk about a "Felsen" like in "boulder" in english. It typically refers to a bigger sort of stone while a stone would be something palm sized.

I would usally use "Felsen" for a big stone which can´t be moved in an easy way.

  • 4
    Felsen is also always in its natural, "grown" form, while Stein can have been shaped into form or even be man-made - That is pretty close to English, there's a "Grabstein" or "Tombstone", but no "Grabfelsen" or "Tomb rock", also see "Backstein" == "Brick" – tofro Apr 3 '16 at 20:26
  • @tofro this is a great addition! – K. Hoffmann Apr 3 '16 at 22:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.