Which preposition should be used to communicate that "I am studying at this school"? Auf? Bei? Or something else entirely?

  • Related, perhaps dupe: german.stackexchange.com/q/9704/1224
    – Em1
    Commented Apr 15, 2016 at 15:38
  • 4
    The question makes little sense unless you specify at least which verb you want to use.
    – Carsten S
    Commented Apr 15, 2016 at 17:36
  • 1
    And, related to the verb choice, whether it is about a high school or university etc.
    – chirlu
    Commented Apr 15, 2016 at 19:54

2 Answers 2


For primary and secondary education one would not use studieren (=study):

Ich gehe zu dieser Schule/diesem Gymnasium.

Ich gehe in diese Schule/dieses Gymnasium.

Ich gehe an diese Schule/dieses Gymnasium.

Ich gehe auf diese Schule/dieses Gymnasium.

Ich besuche diese Schule/dieses Gymnasium.

Higher education (where the word studieren applies):

Ich studiere an dieser Universität/Hochschule.


As the other answer states, do not use studieren for primary and secondary education (Grundschule, Realschule, Gymnasium, Berufsschule), but do use it for higher education (Fachhochschule, Universität).

to study can be translated differently:

  • lernen (e.g., for a test)
  • eine Ausbildung machen (e.g., study at a university to get a degree)

in the first case simply use lernen an:

Ich lerne an dieser Schule.

Ich lerne an dieser Universität.

in the second case use these:

Ich gehe auf diese Schule.

Ich studiere an dieser Universität.

  • I think that "lerne" would rarely be used in this sense. I think that "gehe auf" or "besuche" are more common.
    – Carsten S
    Commented Apr 20, 2016 at 12:47
  • As I said, lerne an would be used if a person is specifically learning something (like learning for a test): Ich lerne an dieser Schule für den Test
    – sylar_5
    Commented Apr 25, 2016 at 10:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.