I read the following sentence:

Sie ist Flugbegleiterin geworden. Ich glaube, sie ist es immer noch.

I don't know if I understand it the right way, but I would think it means that "She's always wanted to be a flight attendant".

Is that correct?

If you expanded a bit on how you would arrive at that (wrong) conclusion, this question might become on-topic. – Crissov Apr 15 '16 at 19:56
  • since i could't conclude the meaning of the scentence as a whole, I translated it literally, so it seemed like: She is that always (still). so i ignored (still) and untderstood it that way – Ehab-Sinan Apr 15 '16 at 20:03
  • Ignore "immer" and try it again. I'm pretty sure, you'll then end up with the correct conclusion. – Em1 Apr 15 '16 at 20:48

She became a flight attendant. I believe, she still is one. (Still works as a flight attendant)

No, this is not correct.

The first sentence does not mean "She's always wanted to be a flight attendant". The correct meaning is: "She became a flight attendant".

Here are the correct translation pairs:

1. Sie ist Flugbegleiterin geworden.
    She became a flight attendant.

2. Sie wollte immer eine Flugbegleiterin sein.
    She always wanted to be a flight attendant.

(I think you variation beginning with "She's" instead of "She" is even wrong in english.)

Number 1 means, that there was a time when she was not a flight attendant (like nobody else she was not born as a flight attendant). And then there was an event that changed this status, and after this event she was a flight attendant. But this sentence does not tell, if there later was another event, that turned back this status. It is not absolutely clear, if she now still is a flight attendant, or if she quit this job.

Number 2 means, that she "always" (from the day of her birth until now) had a certain goal, and this goal was to be a flight attendant. But you don't know if she reached this goal. It is possible, that until now she never became a flight attendant, and still has this dream. But it can also be, that she now is a flight attendant, and is very happy with her job, so now she still wants to be what she is.

This is the translation of the second sentence:

Ich glaube, sie ist es immer noch.
I believe, she still is.

So the complete translation is this:

She became a flight attendant. I believe, she still is.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.