I’d like to know the German term for a financial capital (city), e.g. London, Hong Kong, Frankfurt. I’d like to say:

Frankfurt ist Europas _________ .

• With Finanzhauptstadt, Finanzzentrum and Finanzmetropole, you’re already spoiled for choice. – dakab Apr 16 '16 at 18:44
  • Geldeneinzugszentrale – Tyler Durden Apr 16 '16 at 22:55

Finanzhauptstadt

The complete, grammatically correct sentence would read: "Frankfurt ist die Finanzhauptstadt Europas."

(Note that you usually do not use Europa with an article.)

Examples of actual usage:

Frankfurt ist das Finanzzentrum Europas.

The English capital is cognate to Haupt-, making Finanzhauptstadt a nice, literal translation, but Finanzzentrum is both more generic and less figuratively. The Zentrum is the midpoint where it all meets.

I have a feeling -hauptstadt is used in rather shallow or general coverage, while -zentrum is the actual term (the lemma, see German Wikipedia: Finanzplatz).

It also depends on whether you want to put emphasis on the actual city or its role as a central place.

Also see this Ngram of Finanzhauptstadt and Finanzzentrum.

Another version:

Finanzmetropole

But Finanzzentrum is even more common (Google: ~ 132.000 hits; Finanzmetropole: ~70.000; Finanzhauptstadt: ~3.000 - see also this nice Google NGram chart).

• Right, you often read about -metropole too. – dakab Apr 16 '16 at 18:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy