I read from Farrell's Dictionary of German Synonyms that jedoch is only used to qualify a preceding absolute statement; however, this seems unsupported by the following example I read in Duden:

Sie wollte anrufen, jedoch das Telefon war gestört; ( from Duden )

Could any native speakers of German give any tip on this question of pragmatic usage of 'jedoch'?

Jedoch is synonymous with aber, which is preferred most of the time. Your sentence is perfectly fine, It would be nice to know, what Farrell requires of an absolute statement. – Chieron Apr 29 '16 at 9:14
    The sentence is not perfectly fine. jedoch is subordinating in contrast to aber and doch. The sentence should be: Sie wollte anrufen, jedoch war das Telefon gestört. – Toscho May 1 '16 at 17:03

Sie wollte anrufen, jedoch das Telefon war gestört; ( from Duden )

Sie wollte anrufen, doch das Telefon war gestört.

Sie wollte anrufen, aber das Telefon war gestört.

They are all equivalent. I personally would use the last one. Since doch and jedoch are sounding old fashioned to me.

| improve this answer | |
  • Ich würde auch das Lettztere sagen. Die Verwendung von jedoch in Kombination mit dem komischen Satzbau hebt meines Erachtens die Überraschung oder den Unglauben hervor. Vielleicht spielt es auch auf "... allein, mir fehlt der Glaube an". – yasd Jun 26 '16 at 13:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.